Easy Steps on How to Apply a Lace Front Wig (Step-by-Step Guide)
Lace front wigs can easily be customized, and that is why so many people love them. The lace front acts as a natural hairline, which allows you to adjust the wig to achieve your desired style.
This article outlines easy steps on how to put on a lace front wig; it does not take much of your time. Wondering on how to wear a wig? The first step is to press down your hair to make it flat. Next, prepare the skin around your face to ease the wig application process.
Finally, adjust the wig, clip-off the excess lace and tighten the straps.
Wig tapes or adhesives can be applied on the wig to firmly hold it in place and prevent it from lifting. At this stage you are free to adjust it as you desire to achieve a suitable style.
Prepping for the Wig Installation
- Test your skin: Wigs contain some chemicals that are used to preserve them; hence, some people react to such chemicals. It is advisable to test your skin to check if you are hypersensitive to these chemicals.
To do this, apply a little amount of the liquid adhesive at the back of your palm. Afterward, observe the reaction within 24 hours.
If, after 24 hours, you notice skin reddening or irritation, then you should desist from using that wig, Instead, opt for hypoallergenic adhesive or wig tape. But if you do not observe any skin irritation, then it is safe to use.
- Hair flattening: Wigs look better when your natural hair is well-flattened. You can achieve this through the use of Bobby pins and gels, or better still, make short braids like the cornrow style.
People with longer hair can first make the hair into a ponytail and then use bobby pins to secure the ponytails after they have been rolled to appear like a flat bun.
If you happen to use a hairspray or gel on the wig, make sure the substance is completely dry before putting on the wig.
- Use the Stocking cap: these are also referred to as wig caps. These soft caps help to keep the wig in place by pressing down the natural hair.
To avoid distorting the already flattened hair, ensure you pull the wig caps gently when you want to wear them, and also adjust it to the point where it slightly covers the hairline.
This step does not apply to people very small hair because the cap won’t be held firmly in place and will cluster beneath your wig. All your hair, including the ones down the edge of the neck, should be carefully tucked into the wig cap.
- Skin preparation: prepare your skin by using a mild cleanser to wash it and dry it afterward with a soft cloth. Also, rubbing alcohol can be used to remove excess skin oil, and you can do this by using a cotton ball to take a little alcohol and dab it on the skin surface.
Individuals with sensitive skin can use additional scalp-protecting scrum together with the alcohol to protect the skin from irritation. The scrum can be purchased online or directly through wig sale outlets. Make sure you allow the serum to dry before you continue to wear the wig.
How to Cut a Lace Front Wig and Wear it
- Check if it fits: right before you use that adhesive, have you checked whether the wig fit your head? You should wear the wig to confirm if it aligns with your natural hairline.
Most wigs come with a tightening strap with which you can either tighten or loosen the wig to make it fit appropriately with your head. If in your case, the wig does not fit you, and it does not even have a tightening strap, then you should contact the makers immediately.
- Lace trimming: Sometimes, you get wigs that come with excess lace, such that you will need to trim it off. In such a situation, use some clips to pull the excess lace away from your face and clip it off along your hairline using sharp pinking shears.
Try to leave around 1/8 inch of lace when you trim, and trimming should take place only once, that it, during your first time of fixing the wig. Some wigs have very little excess lace, and you might not need to trim them before you wear them.
- Remove and set the wig aside: Pull off the wig with care and place it on a surface that is flat and clean, leave the clips in, when you pull off the wig.
When you arrange the wig, do it in such a way that you can easily identify each part that goes on the hairline and the one for the nape of your neck.
- Use wig tape: Cut wig tapes into small pieces of 6-10. You will; attach these pieces along your hairline by using the sticky side of the tape to press on your skin.
You should use the help of a mirror to get an even hairline, after which you should take-off the thick foam padding. Why? Because it helps to reveal the other side of the tape. Try as much as possible to avoid the formation of loose gaps by ensuring that the pieces of wig tapes touch each other.
- Apply liquid adhesive: Liquid lace adhesive can be used as an alternative to wig tapes. You can use a clean makeup brush to apply the glue along a thin line on your hairline.
Whether you will wear the wig immediately or wait for a few minutes will depend on the type of adhesive that you used. In most cases, you can wear the wig immediately if the adhesive is a hard bond. On the contrary, you need to wait for some minutes for the adhesive to get dry if it is a soft bond.
- Put on the wig: carefully put on the wig, and at the same time, adjust the edges until the hairlines are fits properly.
Next, adjust the backside of the wig so that it hangs over your hair naturally. Lastly, make sure you press the lace of the wig into the wig tape or adhesive. Once you do this, it becomes difficult to remove, so be careful with the alignment of the wig before you proceed.
- Hairstyling: Hair products, regular brushes, and hot styling tools can be used for wigs made from human hair.
For synthetic wigs, you can use wig brushes or wide-toothed comb as an alternative to those that are used for wigs made from human hair.
- Remove the wig: you can pull-off wig tapes or adhesive using regular baby oil or commercial wig adhesive removal.
To do this, rub the removing substance continuously at the point where the lace and adhesive are in contact. Do this until the lace separates from the scalp. Do not try to remove the tapes or adhesives by pulling them off the lace; else, you might damage the wig.
- Regular washing of the wig: After wearing the wig between 8 to 12 times, you will need to wash them. Before cleaning the wig, untangle the wig through brushing.
After the untangling, soak the wig in warm water, shampoo, and condition it. Next, bring it out and allow it to dry before you brush or comb the wig. Regular washing will make the wig to last longer.
Regular conditioners and shampoo can be used on human hair, while specialized conditioner and shampoo are required for synthetic wigs. You can purchase specialized conditioners and shampoo directly from the manufacturer of the wig or at beauty stores.
- Proper storage of the wig: To maintain your wig’s beauty and quality, you need to store it properly. When you are not using the wigs, keep them in a standing position. Do not store the wigs while it still has the tapes or adhesives on it.